Meredith O Connor is a pop star, anti-bullying activist, and international spokesperson on mental health awareness. Her hit song Celebrity went viral on YouTube in 2013, with more than 2 million views, followed up by The Game, about bullying. This led to a world tour, being featured on Radio Disney and Teen Nick, and eventually an invitation to the United Nations to speak on the topic of bullying.
What you will learn:
- How Meredith O Connor defied critics early in her career and proved that there is a sizable audience for songs with positive messages.
- How her own struggles with OCD inspired her to become the role model she wished she had growing up.
- Her thoughts on how widespread COVID anxieties could lead to the destigmatization of mental illness.
- The significance of empathy and education about mental illness, especially for the parents of struggling kids.
- How international success helped show her that no one is alone in their suffering, and made her resolve to help those feeling isolated even stronger.
- How she handles the pressures of being in the public spotlight while managing pre-existing mental health issues.
- The influence Broadway had on her vocal style growing up and how she transitioned to pop music.
- How she collaborates in the songwriting process with her co-writer Heather Holly.
- What it was like learning to play the guitar after receiving a record contract.
- The advice she would give young people who wish to pursue music professionally.
- Why she chooses to embrace social media instead of viewing it as toxic.
Resources Related Meredith O Connor:
- Meredith O’Connor’s IMDb page
- Meredith O’Connor’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
- Meredith O’Connor Interview Transcript
Check This Out: