Rebecca Metz is a Los Angeles-based actress whose credits include a recurring role as Tressa on Better Things, as well as roles on many acclaimed television shows over the last two decades, including Shameless, Mom, Nip/Tuck, Maron, This is Us, Grey’s Anatomy, Bones, Justified, and Gilmore Girls to name just a few. Rebecca is also a voiceover, stage and screen actor. Her most recent feature film is Disney’s Magic Camp.
What you will learn:
- What it was like acting on the IFC series Maron (now streaming on Netflix), and being directed by the late, great Lynn Shelton [0:00-8:58]
- What auditioning for Shameless was like, as a fan of the show, and how a long-time connection with a casting agency has been crucial to her success; what it was like working with great actors and directors like William H. Macy and Emmy Rossum. [8:58-15:48]
- How film and television auditions happen during the pandemic, and the uncertain future of theater; the theatrical influence that Rebecca’s classically trained singer parents had on her growing up. [15:48-26:07]
- The process of auditioning for Better Things, embracing the subtlety of awkward humor, and her hopes for her character in Season Five (which may include a potential love interest) [26:07-34:12]
- The problems that cast and crew face while filming multi-cam shows while following COVID restrictions; why Rebecca admires Better Things creator Pamela Adlon for superbly executing seasons 3 and 4, not only maintaining the quality of the writing after Louis C.K. left the show, but making it better. [34:12-39:43]
- What’s next for Rebecca and advice she would give people who are interested in pursuing a career in acting. [39:43-45:38]